Have we ever told ourselves that we simply cannot jump that fence or do that project?
Do we believe in ourselves as much as others believe in us? Harvey Mackay, a syndicated columnist once said, “to be a champion, you have to learn to handle stress and pressure. But if you’re mentally and physically prepared, you don’t have to worry.”
We all have the capability to do extraordinary things, yet we worry about failure so we simply don’t try.
Since I began participating in the Dale Carnegie program six years ago I have noticed so many people step away from their fears and achieve monumental success in both their work and personal lives.
How then do these individuals get past their fears and attack the very event that causes their entire being break out in a sweat? Very simply they have learned to turn their stress into good stress or often called Eustress. A well-balanced amount of good and bad stress is actually good for you. Stress adds some spice and excitement to our lives and often makes us feel better about ourselves.
Dale Carnegie provides us some terrific tools to deal with bad stress and worry in his book, How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. Some of my favorite includes those below:
- Live in day tight compartments – Before you go to bed at night tell yourself that tomorrow is a new day and you have given this worry as much time as it is worth.
- Ask yourself, what is the worst that can happen. Then prepare to accept the worst and if possible improve on the worst.
- Don’t worry about the past – We all worry about what happened yesterday. Wouldn’t it be far more productive to think about what we are going to do tomorrow?
- Keep busy – When we are busy we don’t have time to worry or be afraid
- Fill your mind with thoughts of peace, courage, health and hope – So often when we hear bad news about ourselves or the ones we love we immediately think the worst. What a difference it would make in our lives if we thought the best!
Do you have trouble dealing with stress and worry? Download Dale Carnegie’s Golden Book for access to all of the stress & worry principles!